"I am lovers with what hasn't a name: the inside of wind,

the stutter of rain ..." ❤ excerpt (c) Amy Schutzer


Sunday, December 9, 2012

Ocala the Wonderful


Ocala, Florida, my birthplace.
We did a day trip and visited.
Traveled north on I-75,
Heavy traffic.
People in hurry
life becomes a blur.

Old southern town, 
genteel victorian homes.

Horse country, many horse
farms now stand in ruin.

Big oak trees, the Silver Run,
Silver Springs.
 1901
Good barbecue at Sonny’s

the best ribs I’ve tasted in
a long time.

Ocala historic district
was developed because
of the Indian Wars.
Settled in 1880 to 1920.

~a little History ~

“Ocala's name comes from the extinct Timucuan Indians who called their village Ocali, commonly thought to mean "Big Hammock”.  Today, many of Ocala's streets have historical Indian names, while others have Spanish names 
from old land grants.” 
Court House square 1847
I had not been to Ocala in many years, it felt good to visit again.



5 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

Lovely. It is always special to travel back to one's birthplace...despite the changes.
Mary

Steven Scott said...

Wonderful post....love the old photos.

AkasaWolfSong said...

I'm a lucky girl in that I live in the city of my birth...I've spent countless hours at other places, only to move back again...our hearts are drawn to the waters of our birthplace, and I'm a firm believer of that.

Lovely old photos although it hurts my heart that it was taken from the Timicuan Indians...

Have a Great Week Dear Heart!!!
xoxoxo

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sandy, using this way to communicate
Could not find your email :)
Thank you always for your kind words. I write so simply that it is a surprise to me
how many like to travel along with me. Thank you for your online friendship - and - take care of yourself :)

Appalachian Lady said...

What a beautiful area-so glad you were able to get back there. I like that oak tree the best.

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." — Terry Pratchett

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."  — Terry Pratchett

Followers