Emily Carr the Artist, The Writer, The Art
Born in Victoria, British Columbia December13, 1871, and died March 2, 1945.
She has the sweetest face. Emily Carr was beautiful.
She studied in San Francisco and traveled to London to broaden her artistic horizons. In 1910 she was living and studying in France, by1913 she returned permanently to Victoria for financial reasons.
Where she lived conservative art was in vogue. Her techniques were alien and her art not readily accepted. I believe she struggled financially and not accepted as an artist.
In 1927 she came to know and be involved with Lawren Harris and the Group of Seven. She was invited to show her work and they were supportive of her. Possibly she received financial support from them.They named her “The Mother of Modern Art”.
Somewhere around 1917 she began living with the native Nuu-chah-nulth Indians, on Vancouver Island's west coast. She had been nicknamed Carr Klee Wyck, "the laughing one." Carr painted and later wrote of these experiences.
To support herself she was a potter, boarding house landlady, and dog breeder. Her writing was good but some say not entirely reliable in facts.
I would like to have known her, lived with the Indians, and talked about all she did. She looks out at me from this top photograph, as if she knows me.
Her art is simple, colorful, and mystical.
I would like to have known her, lived with the Indians, and talked about all she did. She looks out at me from this top photograph, as if she knows me.
Her art is simple, colorful, and mystical.
It is my belief had she plenty of money, she would have painted exclusively.
Finding her art:





5 comments:
Hello blog friends. I just googled my blog, and came to see how to post comments. You click on the post, scroll down to comments, make comments and click posts.
I love reading your comments and have you visit.
Happy Saturday, all day long and into the night. twm
The one of the church is my favorite,I just love that one!
Happy weekend Wild Magnolia,
It took me a while to figure out how to leave a comment...
duh ! on that
and a double duh
because I did not know the work of Emily Carr on your blog.
What self-respecting Canadian could not recognize the work of the Group of Seven?
50 lashes with a silk scarf, for me.
Thank you for the clarification.
blushing and smiling
at the same time.
hugs Sharon
Thank you
I learn from you...
What wonderful art! I especially love the little white church. Reminds me of the church my mother grew up in. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment