cicada calls
take me back
I remember
Dog Days of August
summertime
fireflies
running barefoot through the woods
dripping watermelon spitting seeds
endless daydreaming
childhood happy
enormous oak trees
draped in moss
I want to find
the secret gate
and return to
simpler times
I’m looking for
my child mind
imagination wild
wonder world
adventure behind
every tree
places
they do exist...
you know
...forever
I long to visit
If I could gather
enchanted childhood days
I would tie them ‘round
with rainbow ribbons
and hand them out
on sad sunless days, so...
we could lie back
in lemon grasses
gaze at the night
sky and feel our
way backward
in time
I find it
helpful to return
briefly to these
days gone by
and feel once again
the freedom of
childhood
sandra m. hagan (c) August 15, 20011
10 comments:
I am right there with you.
At least the happy times.
Not the sad times :)
We have cicada's here in Brooklyn as well. Guess I am not that removed from nature. Thanks for the heartwarming post.
Mary
Just yesterday, a visitor and I sat on the veranda in the shade of two maple trees, listening to the cicadas. Their high pitch humming brought back childhood memories which we shared.
It is interesting that the dog days of August can inspire such reverie.
Oh, Sandra....
..."and feel our way backward in time...."
Marvelous. Simply marvelous.
xoxox
I'm right there with you on this...I've been circling my past like coyboys round the wagons...
Now if I only had a fire to peer into...
Ahhh...the serendipitious days and feelings of summer!
Just Beautiful Dear Heart! Just Beautiful!
I miss the sound of crickets and for some reason I have not heard their song for the past several years.
I walk to work all the time at night.
They used to lull me to sleep when I was a girl.
I love your poem.
hugs and blessings
Sharon
Such a beautiful poem you are sharing today....I could almost hear the chirps and smell the sweet wet grass again.
hugs,
Jo
What a beautiful, nostalgic poem! Really love the parts about adventure behind every tree and feeling our way backward in time. :-)
lovely...
just love your words...
happy to stop by today, my sweet friend
sending love,
kary and summer boy teddy
xx
Listening to cicadas right now- I can close my eyes and imagine I'm sitting on the front porch of my childhood home. Love your poem! :)
Post a Comment