"I am lovers with what hasn't a name: the inside of wind,

the stutter of rain ..." ❤ excerpt (c) Amy Schutzer


Sunday, May 1, 2011

~ Happy May Day, Happy Beltane ~


"The fair maid who, the first of May
Goes to the fields at break of day
And washes in dew from the hawthorn tree
Will ever after handsome be."

-  Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme -

Happy May Day - Happy Beltane -  Here Comes Summer 

I try to imagine myself as the fair maid, but really, I'm now a crone and thankful to have made it this far.  What can I say, I'm a romantic, and love the visual of a maiden going to the field to wash herself at break of day in dew from the hawthorn tree.....ever handsome be!  The crone in me thinks,.....and ever healthy be!  Hah, it is true!

Here comes summer all hot and sweaty. 

Summer harvest will bring okra, watermelons, zucchini and yellow squash, corn, cantaloupe, tons of tomatoes.  We'll broil fish and prepare cool potato salads or  Waldorf salad.  The queen of vegetables for us southerner's is blackeyed peas cooked with ham, served with white rice, cornbread, sliced tomatoes, and iced tea.

We stand on the threshold of summer ready to gather blessings and bounty.

This May Day I am thankful for family and friends and country.

Happy May Day!  Happy Beltane!  Be blessed with health and peace and family and friends!

4 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

You make me hungry for all this summer food that is on the way.
Take care...

Nicky Price said...

Happy May Day, Happy Beltane and Happy May! Blessing on you and your household. :)

Midwinterain. xoxo

AkasaWolfSong said...

Ahhh...You conjure up some wonderful summertime images Dear Sandra! :) I have been craving a Watermelon...I can never get my fill of it! And tomatoes are my favorite on anything or in anything..Sweet Tea? Oh my Sister of Light you speak the stuff of stars! He He He
A Very Happy and Blessed Beltain to You!
xoxo

kerrdelune said...

Beltane blessings to you too, my sweet!

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." — Terry Pratchett

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."  — Terry Pratchett

Followers