Second daughter and I traveled back in time, sort of. We used to live in this southern Gulf Coast town. My children's paternal grandparents were of the pioneer stock that settled this town. Back in the day this land was desolate and disconnected from the mainland town. A boat was needed to reach this beach. The land was undeveloped, full of mosquito's and sand spurs and unappealing in general. No one thought much of the beach, except for fishing and turtles. The land was bought cheap and lost for taxes. Very sad.
Second daughter calls this her homeland. Her memories are all good. She, her older sister and two year old brother, roamed all over this town. It was a safe place to live. They often packed a picnic lunch, spending the day playing, and visited the children's park or Indian Mound Park.
Her brother is buried in this town. We visited the cemetery, pulled weeds, remembered his sweet self, and cried.
~ JVB son and brother ~
We ate lunch on the beach at a new place called "Flounders", shown in the two bottom pictures. Fried grouper sandwich, french fries, escargot and iced tea. Good food, spectacular weather and surroundings, gave us pause to feel blessed. (I rotated the bottom picture and saved, it shows it correctly, but when brought in here it went sideways again. Whatever. :))
The beach was packed with tourists and I didn't want to fight the crowd, trying to find a bare spot with no people, to take a few good beach shots. I'll come again another day. I did take a few "shell shots", one of which I show you above.
The day was pure magic, cool spring blue sky sunshine Florida beauty.
Long after we returned home, we could not get the day out of our minds, it was so wonderful it refused to leave.
Blessings and Happy wishes are extended toward you all!
5 comments:
Life is about days like that, thank you so much for sharing, I can almost smell the sea from the images in your post.
It looks like a beautiful little town, and I am so glad you had such a wonderful day. I meant to tell you the other day and forgot. The other day when you posted about eating the Russell Stover Easter eggs? Well, I was sitting back doing the same thing.
Mary
I can smell the sea and feel the sand on my feet.
Thank you for your sharing
Enjoy this daughter - times like this are special.
I love times like these...special, endearing, memories of gold. Forever tucked away in heart and mind to take them out when needed. Sounds like you had a wondrous time of it...good for you and your daughter!
Happy Memories and Blessings...
Namaste'
xoxo
Sounds like a beautiful day of making new memories and remembering those made before.
Sandra, the picture of your son...well it brought tears to my eyes as I have similar pictures of my sons. I am so sorry he had to leave you.
Love and Blessings dearest one...
Post a Comment