You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace before the concert and the opera, and grace before the play and pantomime, and grace before I open a book, and grace before sketching, painting, swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing and grace before I dip the pen in the ink. ~G.K. Chesterton
Anticipation grew to great heights about two weeks prior to any major holiday. I would worry my Mom senseless, to know how many more days before Thanksgiving. When exactly, were we leaving? Calling off names, I wanted to know which of my cousins were expected. I was interested even, in the weather. For I knew many a splendid holiday outdoor escape could be halted by rain or cold weather.
Thanksgiving 1954, Ocala, Florida, at Aunt Martha Jane’s old Florida homestead, in the Ocala National Forest
.
Eight years old is not being a baby. You are expected to have good sense by this time. It is better now if you know your place, mind your manners, speak when spoken to, do not interrupt, and never, never sass! Never hang by your legs, on a tree branch, with dress on. Good table manners should be second nature. Sit silent and stone still in church. Cleanliness is next to Godliness, and you better be clean! Think before you speak, be thoughtful of others. Do not run in the house or public buildings. Be truthful and keep your word. Do not be afraid of hard work.
Properly raised little southern girls knew the basics at eight years old, at least this one did. Many rules fell away like fish scales as my cousins and I made our escape. We wanted free from adult interference, and we were quick about it. Once all the children had arrived, we virtually disappeared for days, except to eat, bathe and sleep, and for story time after supper.
Today I remember the rules and the underlying foundation. Today I remember a feeling of love and security. The rules did not change. I was secure in my boundaries. There would be crisp sun dried linens on my bed. Good food was ready each mealtime. Clean cloths were hung or folded neatly in my chest of drawer. Our home was spotless everything had its proper place. I knew what to expect.
This Thanksgiving I am thankful for the good care of childhood and for those who loved me. They are all gone now and I miss them.
There was someone to watch over me.
Wishing each of you a blessed holiday and the love of family and friends!
Thank you for all the feel better wishes. I am on the mend. :)

7 comments:
And time seemed to crawl back then, didn't it? Now, it passes by in a flash. We must cherish every moment. Blessings to you and yours.
Mary
To have sweet ,beautiful memories is a great thing and something to cherish. I wished all children had such wonderful times, a safe and happy childhood makes a difference for the rest of one's life.
Happy Thanksgiving and take care, x renilde
Thank you for sharing your beautiful memories with us,you were very blessed!
Sweet Blessings to You on this Thanksgiving!
Hope you are feeling much better?
I loved walking with you back through your memories...
Many Blessings!
Bless you on this special day! And I am so glad you are feeling better. Many good wishes are hurrying from me to you, everyday, all day long! Love, Kari
hope you all enjoy the cake! have a wonderful thanksgiving!!!
Pleased you are feeling better - and I could read your sharing.
You were raised with the same rules as this little Southern girl :)
Post a Comment