Gypsy Women of France during the mid-war period.
~ A Vagabond Song ~
THERE is something in the autumn that is native to my blood— | |
Touch of manner, hint of mood; | |
And my heart is like a rhyme, | |
With the yellow and the purple and the crimson keeping time. | |
The scarlet of the maples can shake me like a cry | |
Of bugles going by. | |
And my lonely spirit thrills | |
To see the frosty asters like a smoke upon the hills. | |
There is something in October sets the gypsy blood astir; | |
We must rise and follow her, | |
When from every hill of flame | |
She calls and calls each vagabond by name. |
by ~ Bliss Carman
Sir Alfred James Munnings, P.R.A., R.W.S., (1878-1959)
~ Horses and Gypsy Caravan ~
"There is, something about October sets the gypsy blood astir...".
My last venture outside yesterday was a gift of nature. A dusty mauve and smoky blue sunset. The sun set on the horizon framed by the shinning lake, large oak tree silhouettes, and glittering lights of home.
October means a season change, cool weather, and desire for comfort foods. Autumn awakens my spirit. I want to bake apple cake. Whip up a good pan of macaroni and sharp cheddar cheese topped with buttered bread crumbs and bright red tomatoes. Mmmmm.
"The Vagabond Song" gave words to my feeling of wanderlust and craving hearth and home which calls my each October.
Seems to me I feel my ancestor's close by longing to share their stories and calling me to share a bonfire and a bowl of hot soup. On this dark night beside the snapping bright fire it becomes easy for me to imagine I dance before this fire, arms raised and tambourine a jangle, long skirt twirling above my ankles and bracelets tinkling on my wrists. I am a gypsy woman.
I feel called to move beyond the city lights and visit the secret places where the animals gather for a moonlight picnics. There is a need to let my hair down and howl at the moon. This I dare not do in the city.
Blessings to one and all!
Sir Alfred James Munnings, P.R.A., R.W.S., (1878-1959)
~ Horses and Gypsy Caravan ~
"There is, something about October sets the gypsy blood astir...".
My last venture outside yesterday was a gift of nature. A dusty mauve and smoky blue sunset. The sun set on the horizon framed by the shinning lake, large oak tree silhouettes, and glittering lights of home.
October means a season change, cool weather, and desire for comfort foods. Autumn awakens my spirit. I want to bake apple cake. Whip up a good pan of macaroni and sharp cheddar cheese topped with buttered bread crumbs and bright red tomatoes. Mmmmm.
"The Vagabond Song" gave words to my feeling of wanderlust and craving hearth and home which calls my each October.
Seems to me I feel my ancestor's close by longing to share their stories and calling me to share a bonfire and a bowl of hot soup. On this dark night beside the snapping bright fire it becomes easy for me to imagine I dance before this fire, arms raised and tambourine a jangle, long skirt twirling above my ankles and bracelets tinkling on my wrists. I am a gypsy woman.
I feel called to move beyond the city lights and visit the secret places where the animals gather for a moonlight picnics. There is a need to let my hair down and howl at the moon. This I dare not do in the city.
Blessings to one and all!



5 comments:
I'm coming for supper! Mmmmmmmm I love the horses. And your words never fail to comfort me. I love the time I spend over here. I love you, Sandi. And October is a wonderful time of the year. I can smell the apple pie. :)
Thank you so very much for visiting me, and leaving such a nice comment. I just LOVE your space here! I have a little gypsy in my soul myself (as can be proven out in the numbers of moves over my life? 18 times in 53 years! LOL)
So looking forward to looking around more!
- Grace
Yes, this is the most mysterious, magical, mystical time of the year. I love it, too, and all things gypsy. Keep on keeping on, gypsy woman! xo Kari
loved reading this sandi....
october..always a favorite....
sending autumn love,
kary and teddy
xxx
It all sounds wonderful - let us light a bonfire outside and dance up a gypsy storm or two! There's an almost full moon riding the night, and she calls for dancing!
Post a Comment