The Journey by Mary Oliver
One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice—
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do—
determined to save
the only life you could save.
The past few months of uncertain outcome for where I would live, and finding a place I can afford, gave me a perfect opportunity to go with the flow. Waiting was easier and after few missteps, the perfect apartment is provided.
There are two magnificent windows facing north. The view is of Lake Hunter, large oak trees, palm trees and a few pine trees. Willowy grasses line the lake and ducks can be seen bobbing about from time to time. Sea green water makes me think of jumping in every time I see it. I am dazzled by a view that feeds my spirit.
My apartment is an alcove, a large efficiency, two large closets of which one has shelves, nice sized bath and small kitchen. The tiny stove is cute as a button. There is limited cabinet space and I plan to purchase shelving for the closet across from the kitchen. The walls are painted a light cream. It is a perfect home for me and I am so thankful!
Just one block east is the historic downtown district. Old shoppes, the library, art galleries, cafe's and on the west side is a large island lined with oak trees, a brick pathway, and fountains. Very old south Florida one that welcomes a visit.
So I am pleased as can be.
Blessings to all!

4 comments:
Your apartment sounds wonderful. what a great view you have! I'm so glad you are content. It means a lot to be comfortable where we live. I no longer am as neighborhood's here in the city change so quickly, but we're kind of stuck at this time...so I try to make the best of it.
Mary
What an apartment and what a view - it sounds like the perfect place for you, dearest Magnolia!
This place sounds like you my sweet friend. I love the lake and the oak trees. You have brought me right into your apartment with your words. I feel at home too. :) Great place to write. *hint*
I am very thankful you have found this place. And that you are where God wants you right now.
I love old South Florida. Makes me homesick.
I also love The Journey. So telling. And it really isn't so much about where we're going in life (on earth) as it is about how we're getting there. Our journey. I love you. More than you'll ever know. :)
That is one of my very favorite poems and I often re-read it to try to keep myself on my own path in the world. Your new place sounds perfect! Your journey inspires us all. Take one day at a time, as my mother always said! xo Kari
Post a Comment