"Only those who truly love and are truly strong can sustain their lives as a dream. You dwell in your own enchantment. Life throws stones at you, but your love and your dream change those stones into the flowers of discovery. Even if you lose, or are defeated by things, your triumph will always be exemplary. And if no one knows it, then there are places that do. People like you enrich the dreams of the world, and it is dreams that create history. People like you are unknowing transformers of things, protected by your own fairy-tale, by love.
~Ben Okri~
A Song of Enchantment
A song of Enchantment I sang me there,
In a green-green wood, by waters fair,
Just as the words came up to me
I sang it under the wild wood tree.
Widdershins turned I, singing it low,
Watching the wild birds come and go;
No cloud in the deep dark blue to be seen
Under the thick-thatched branches green.
Twilight came: silence came:
The planet of Evening's silver flame;
By darkening paths I wandered through
Thickets trembling with drops of dew.
But the music is lost and the words are gone
Of the song I sang as I sat alone,
Ages and ages have fallen on me -
On the wood and the pool and the elder tree.
Walter de la Mare
(25 April 1873 – 22 June 1956)
Spring fever and wanderlust are flowing through my veins. I am besotted with Spring and rebirth. Breaking away from the seemingly mundane and daily routine. Breaking away at least for singular special moments.
What to do with Spring fever and wanderlust?
Next week I’ll start my small container garden, marigolds and tomatoes on the back patio, rosemary at the front door. A small amount of digging in the earth, even potted earth, will help. I’m after refreshment and renewal and a turn of thought that will change the direction of my action. Some things will not change and must be accepted as a part of life.
The strange enchantment of life will be created as we choose it bit by bit. Created in part by our imagination and part by what we gather around our hearth, heart, and mind.
Walking is a type of wandering, right? So I walk. I’m practicing being in the moment. When I walk, I walk. This seems to give my whole body, mind and spirit rest.
Enchantment, fairy tales, the old ways of the Irish....they are part of my enchantment too.
Loving a thing is an enchantment of itself.
Blessings.
www.greayer.com/studiog/wp-content/uploads/2010
Brigit’s Celtic Garden in Galway Ireland.


4 comments:
When circumstances called for me to live in the city I did many of the same things! Plant container gardens and walk.I loved to watch the changing yards as the seasons progressed.The best was when we lived in San Diego,the yards there were beautiful with so many plants I had never seen...sigh!
My g-g- grandfather was Irish..I know nothing about him except his name and when he came to America.I always find myself drawn to Irish things...I guess because I know a little piece of me is from there!
Hi Magnolia..wow, June 1956..the year i was born..
love the picture of the daisy field..that was wonderful....
Happy Saturday, my sweet friend
kary
xxx
What an extraordinarily beautiful post! I love the Ben Okri quote. It is so true that we can make our own enchantment, and often it is simply by the words we choose to describe our own lives. I love these middle-aged years because there is a point that we all arrive at, I think, where we no longer expect someone else to enchant our lives for us. Instead, we rely upon ourselves, and we find that we really are protected by our "own fairy-tale." That is just priceless. Happy gardening! Happy walking! xo Kari
I really love this post Magnolia.
Ben Okri one of my favorites along with the brightly colored flowers.
Enjoy your container gardening...mine will be started before too long.
Thinking of you with Joy and Love...
Always
Ama
Post a Comment