"I am lovers with what hasn't a name: the inside of wind,

the stutter of rain ..." ❤ excerpt (c) Amy Schutzer


Sunday, April 11, 2010

Thoughts of the Irish on this Sunday

An Irish Proverb
Always remember to forget
The things that made you sad.
But never forget to remember
The things that made you glad.

Always remember to forget
The friends that proved untrue.
But never forget to remember
Those that have stuck by you.

Always remember to forget
The troubles that passed away.
But never forget to remember
The blessings that come each day.
(unknown to me)
* "The east face of the cross bears an ecclesiastic figure that looks like a bishop but some think it may be a female figure and believe it to be of St Bridget, but due to weathering it is impossible to tell. The west face bears a head/mask, shown right this side is also badly weathered. Access is over a wooden stile on the west side of the road. Tully church and crosses situated in Laughanstown have always had an association with St Bridget who died in 523 AD. In the field opposite the church is a tall slender cross, pictured above, thought to be of the 12th/13th century."

 Today I would stroll the land of Ireland where these ancient crosses are found.  I would know my Irish history and find relatives who would tell me of my people.  It would be a travel to find the lovely bones of those who lived in a different time and culture.  Over time some found their way to America.  They brought Ireland with them and it found it's way to me.  Although I am not fortunate enough to know my ancestors the love of this land in born in me.

"And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings.}

W. B. Yeats, The Lake Isle of Innisfree

7 comments:

Kari said...

I love those words of Yeats about "peace comes dropping slow." Today is one of those days when peace seems to be almost raining down, though, the world is so full of springtime. I have never seen such a flowering spring in Austin as we have had this spring. I am stopped in my tracks everywhere I look with flowers and yet more flowers. After I feast on these beautiful images on your blog, "I will arise and go now" to look at the bees and the blooms and the spring! xo Kari

Terra said...

Eloquent post and photos, and lovely quote from Yeats. Ah, yes, let's stroll Ireland.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

loved this....and you saw Teddy..isn't he adorable?

i'll keep you updated

Happy End of Sunday

wow..this upcoming week is my last full week without Teddy

sending love, my friend
kary

Melodie said...

I loved this whole post,from the writing to the pictures! This time of year,the soft greenness,makes me wonder if this is what Ireland looks like..one day maybe I'll make it there!

Robyn Campbell said...

Lovely post. I'm Irish. And I loved this. So sweet. Thanks.I hope to go there in a couple years, Lord willing. I love the Yeats quote, too. I'm going to stroll about Ireland. Soon. Miss you so very much. I will be back the 26th of April. Can't wait to catch up. =)

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Dearest Magnolia,
Yep...getting down to less than a week...

isn't he just too cute..i can't stop looking at him....

i'll be back tomorrow...

sending love,
kary
xxx

Julie Dao said...

I love that poem, and the pictures are absolutely lovely. Ireland is so mysterious and beautiful - I would love to visit one day.

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." — Terry Pratchett

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."  — Terry Pratchett

Followers