Dry Tortugas National Park
Fort Jefferson
Dry Tortugas, Florida
Fort Jefferson
Dry Tortugas, Florida
A bit of history:
While the red brick fort is a beautiful contrast against the blue-green water it is the water and the isolation I love.
While the red brick fort is a beautiful contrast against the blue-green water it is the water and the isolation I love.
The first recorded visitor to Garden island was Ponce de Leon in 1513. He caught 160 sea turtles and the island was called Tortugas (turtles) . Pirates used the island for a base from which they attacked merchant ships passing from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Ocean. In 1821 the United State purchased Dry Tortugas.
After the war of 1812 it was to become a fort of protection for the United States. In 1846 construction began on the fort. The officers quarters were completed in 1850. It wasn't until 1862 the walls reached the current height of 50 feet. Construction of the fort took 30 years.
Dry Tortugas was used as a prison for deserters and later a quarantine station. After an outbreak of yellow fever the island was deserted by the military until 1908 when it was designated as a bird reserve under the management of the Department of Agriculture. President Franklin Roosevelt designated it Fort Jefferson National Park.
A four hour boat trip will deliver you across the Straights of Florida from Key West to the Dry Tortugas. The island of Cuba lies 90 miles to the north of the Tortugas.
Arched Walkway inside Courtyard
View Inside Courtyard
Moat and Walkway
Burrowing Owl
Bathing Warbler
A gift, Brain Coral Dry Tortugas Beach
"Nature is just enough: but men and women must comprehend and accept her suggestions."
~Antoinette Brown Blackwell~
A gift, Brain Coral Dry Tortugas Beach
This far away island would be a dream visit for me. To go there the first of April and stay in one stay in the solider quarters. Rise early to experience the sun rising from the eastern Atlantic and across Straights of Florida. Swim the warm gulf waters at will and collect sea shells until I drop.
Feast on grilled, fresh grouper or red fish, or shrimp, onions, mushrooms and bell peppers. Mango, strawberry and banana fruit cups for desert. Gallons of iced tea and sparkling chilled water.
I envision long slow walks on the beach and around the mangrove edges of the island. And before the dark night begins meeting up with friends to watch the blazing red sun slip beneath the gulf at sunset. Listening to, and loving, the silence of the night.
Dream a little while with me.
"Nature is just enough: but men and women must comprehend and accept her suggestions."
~Antoinette Brown Blackwell~
(Side note: If you enjoy a great mystery one set in the Dry Tortugas, I recommend "Flashback" by Nevada Barr. I've read everything she has written to date.)








5 comments:
I thank you so much for the kind words. Alas, I don't have the talent for poetry. Throughout the years I have been saving things that have meaning to me and aside from Yeats or a couple other poets, usually what I post are from unknowns. But, you are welcome to them. I was staring at that picture of the national park in Florida. That is amazingly beautiful.
Mary
As I read your post I was going to mention Nevada Barr's book which is set here, and then I see you do recommend it. This is a quite remote park, isn't it?
What a lovely place! I have not read Nevada Barr's work but I will have my eyes open for her next time I am at the book store!
This would be a wonderful place to go to for solitude. I especially love that arched walkway. I would love to walk down that long covered path in a long quiet contemplation. I love to go to a place where there is so much history that it seems to echo in the brick and mortar, and this looks like such a place. The sense of awe this place would inspire! Love that little burrowing owl! xo Kari
Hi Magnolia..i am dreaming here with you...lovely
thanks for stopping by. i have been out to petco today getting puppy food and treats...and over to Bed Bath and Beyond to get a heating pad. the lady says he loves to sleep on one on low...
have his new little collar, and his engraved name tag came in the mail...and the lady said he has a favorite toy..a chicken named Earl off of some pet website...so it's on order...
i am just so excited.he is all i think about...this sure has turned my life upside-down.
just counting the days
sending love to you today, my sweet friend,
kary
xxx
Post a Comment