~ May in the Green Wode, 15h Century ~
"In somer when the shawes be sheyne,
And leves be large and long,
Hit is full merry in feyre foreste
To here the foulys song.
And leves be large and long,
Hit is full merry in feyre foreste
To here the foulys song.
To see the dere draw to the dale
And leve the hilles hee,
And shadow him in the leves grene
Under the green-wode tree.
And leve the hilles hee,
And shadow him in the leves grene
Under the green-wode tree.
Hit befell on Whitsontide
Early in a May mornyng,
The Sonne up faire can shyne,
And the briddis mery can syng."
Early in a May mornyng,
The Sonne up faire can shyne,
And the briddis mery can syng."
Anonymous
Celebrating holidays with roots in the past is a joy for me and feeds my spirit.
A common medieval practice was to "go a-maying" or "bringing in the may". Gathering flowers and greenery from surrounding forest and fields and decorating hearth and home in celebration of spring. The winter journey has ended and spring is a time of rebirth and renewal.
May Day and the Maypole dance is a happy time looking forward to good things. The maypoles were originally wood and a birch tree was most often chosen. Some preferred to use a fresh tree each year while others used the same tree and it remained standing until May returned. Each pole is decorated with colored ribbons, feathers, greenery, flowers and other items significant to each place. Dancing around the maypole and weaving the ribbons of color was said to bring a good harvest. Some believe dancing creates energy which is drawn into the earth and gives back a good harvest.
It is fun to have a special meal featuring fresh vegetables and fresh fruits. Bake cakes, bread or biscuits using fresh berries, nuts and fruits.
I imagine myself connecting with my ancestors in celebration of Spring's promised bounty. A time to be happy and have a little party.
.jpg)

5 comments:
Lovely post. I love this time of the year. Makes me feel like a kid again.
Mary
Very informative, that is, the month of May. It just happens to be my birth month. Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge of the month of May. I especially love your thoughts, "I imagine myself connecting with my ancestors in celebration of Spring's promised bounty."
I love the month of May! I can see why it made people want to dress up and celebrate :)
I only remember making a May Pole one time in 5th or 6th grade, and I thought it was such a wonderful thing to do. Something about all those pastel-colored ribbons. . . I love the May Pole you have featured on your post. And I love your idea of connecting with ancestors and celebrating Spring. I think it is very good for the soul to become a little pagan from time to time, put flowers in our hair, and dance! xo Kari
hi my friend and happy may day...loved the post...
i have missed you....
sending love,
kary and teddy
xxx
Post a Comment