Connecticut Winter
Now reading "Stillmeadow Sampler" - Spring.
I thought it would be fun to share a few of Gladys Taber's quotes and my thoughts.
Loving nature's turn of the seasons, and being unable to have my own garden, I turn to gather offerings from other gardener's. A gradening feast for me is following the garden by book or blog adorned with beautiful photography. This is almost as much fun.
"I suspect we always love best those who share the hard things with us. Spring and summer friends are delightful, but give me winter friends for my dearest." (G.T.)
The northern winter is the more beautiful and most challenging. Havest time is past. The winter landscape is painted in shades of white, gray and nutbrowns. In varying degrees snow, ice and wind, further redress the earth, and detour human and animal life. In wonder, life goes on. Many love the showy snow time more than they dislike any hardship of winter.
Finding a forever friend or kindred spirit to walk and mark the journey is a gift of the rarest kind. A kindred just knows when and how to help. Kindreds help each other in kind. The kindred friend often show up, or places a call, at the moment of need. They brave the blizzards of life to walk beside and support you.
Farmer's Almanac: Nothing is wrong here, except the last big snow of the season. N.W.H.
Glady's shared the above quip, and added many New Englander's adopted the practice for a time, of placing these initials in the upper left hand corner of an envelope. This was reassuring to relatives and friends before even the letter was opened. Letters were sparce and some were fearful of bad news. N.W.H., nothing wrong here.
"But there were always (those) people who had spring, which is hope and promise, in their hearts." (G.T
Thinking it possible to always have spring, a season of rebirth, within the heart makes my head tingle. Cultivating hope and promise, spring's silent gentle rise, within the heart is a choice. Of course I loved the very idea of this. Being one who needs much help.
The comparasion of seasons and gardening to life gives us visual input direction. I seem to learn better with the duo of words and pictures. :)
Blessings.
Spring in the Heart


6 comments:
I like the contrast between the two pictures. One is just letting go...you can't control the snow. And the other is all about working and cultivating. There is a time for everything.
N.W.H.
Oh dear, I want to buy this book by Gladys Tabor, the quotes you post here truly speak to me.
I just say "oh dear" because I have so many books already, including 4 I ordered online, on their way to my home today.
Thank you for these sweet quotes and the book title.
This is just a beautiful post. Sweet surrender. N.W.H. But Spring is coming...
Hello, my friend...wanted you to know how much i appreciate you checking in on me...i got out gladys taber yesterday and opened it to spring AND i have that very same picture from country living in my pictures....can you beleive that?
so sad over here...just heartbroken...
but we do want to get another dog. buddy will never be replaced..ever..but we can start a new chapter in out lives....
in deep sorrow
kary
Blessings to you too, dearest Magnolia. This was truly lovely writing. I've always loved the work of Gladys Taber - how wonderful it would be to have a fraction of her gifts of careful observation and delight.
thanks so much for checking in my friend....you are a dear...you are one of the few still checking in and it makes me feel so much better...
still sad over here...but getting a LITTLE better...slowly
thanks for thinking of me and sending kind words...
love,
kary
Post a Comment