In Celebration of Spring
Windswept by John William Waterhouse
Windswept by John William Waterhouse
“Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.” Rainer Maria Rilke
These few words by Rilke so thought provoking.
"If we could succeed in loving the distance between us, we would see the whole of another human being." I think sometimes we fight against the distance and differences in another person. We want others to change and be like us or adapt to an image we have for them.
I want the infinite distances to remain.
"If we could succeed in loving the distance between us, we would see the whole of another human being." I think sometimes we fight against the distance and differences in another person. We want others to change and be like us or adapt to an image we have for them.
I want the infinite distances to remain.
I wonder now if I have ever seen the whole of the other against the sky.
"I want to see the other whole against the sky." I want to be seen whole against the sky.
This requires more thoughtful consideration on my part. :)
"I want to see the other whole against the sky." I want to be seen whole against the sky.
This requires more thoughtful consideration on my part. :)

8 comments:
This is an artist I admire, I believe I've seen his works in the Tate. Your words are meaningful too.
What a beautiful picture! And a very thought provoking post!
What beautiful words - you phrase things so eloquently. I need to learn how to love the distance between myself and other people. Waterhouse paintings are exquisite - my favorite is The Lady of Shalott but this one is just as lovely.
Thanks for stopping by and thinking of me....
you have been such a trooper....what a great friend you are..it helps.
starting to feel better today. a little bit.
this just about did me in.
your kindness is so appreciated...
sending love,
kary
In a "brand" base economy I don't think that we like to spend time "looking at people against the sky". We would rather get a quick read on them. It is hard to find someone like Rilke.
It is nice to be reminded of the different levels that we have to see each other.
That picture is definitely of March. Here, at least.
I love your post. I don't want anyone to me like me. I like the distances between. It makes life interesting.
One of my favourite quotes, which I am using on my wedding quilt!, and I love the picture.
I love your post...and I love Waterhouse....
Thanks for visiting me and leaving a trace... :)
Can you not use the translator? If not I´ll translate...
Hugs Annie
Post a Comment