Helen Beatrix Potter ~ at nine years
Beatrix Potter - probably taken in her twenties
With thoughts of Easter in my mind, and Peter Cottontail "hopping down the bunny trail", Peter Rabbit was not far behind. Naturally Beatrix Potter popped up next. Sometime this last year or so I saw the movie adaptation of her life. For my part the movie was beautifully done. I do always love to see the English countryside and peek in on family life in the Victorian era.
Following now a brief biographic look at Beatrix Potter:
Beatrix was the daughter of Rupert and Helen Beatrix Potter, she was born on July 28, 1866, at 2 Bolton Gardens, in Victoria, London. It is said both parents inherited cotton furtunes from their respective families. She was raised in a middle class home of privilege with ever present servants.
As an infant and small child Beatrix was cared for by her nurse, Miss McKenzie, from the Scottish Highlands. Miss McKenzie first told her fantastical stories of witches and fairies.
Beatrix was seen as a lonely child forming no close friendships. She was six years old when her brother, William Bertram Potter, was born. Bertram, as he grew older, became her only friend and they shared many common interests.
When she became of school age she was tutored at home by her governess, Miss Hammond. Along with reading, writing and arithmetic, Ms. Hammond allowed a fair amount of time for art education. Miss Hammond introduced natural history to Beatrix at the Natural History Museum, South Kensington, London. Beatrix loved reading and discovering she could draw expanded her imagination. Bertram and Beatrix shared a love of natural history and disected small insects to understand the skeletal structure.
Beatrice and Pet Rabbit
I believe Beatrix, separated from normal friendships, created a comfortable imaginary world of her favorite things. Loving the countryside where her family summered she spent hours sketching the beautiful woodland and animals. She filled her books with practical lessons for imaginary friends. Beginning with her art and writing she moved on the claim her life in full.
After the death of the of her fiance, Norman Warne of Fredrick Warne and Company Publishers, grieving took her for a time but finally she moved to Top Hill in Near Sawery, in the Lake District of north west England.
Her art and writing blossomed making a way for the life she dreamed of to become a reality. Ability she had, confidence she gained.
She came to love this countryside from childhood vacations.
Along the way of farming she came to love Herdwick sheep and raised some for show. More properties were acquired and would supply funds to care for her Herdwick sheep even after her death.
Being a romantic, I imagine she waited for love to come again, and in 1912 she married William Hellis her property solicitor. They both loved the english countryside, to study natural history, and raising Herdwick sheep.
"I hold an old-fashioned notion that a happy marriage is the crown of a woman's life.' [Journals 1894]
"I hold an old-fashioned notion that a happy marriage is the crown of a woman's life.' [Journals 1894]

* “The word Herdwick is mentioned in documents going back into the 12th century, and means 'sheep pasture'. Flocks were kept by the monks from Furness Abbeyon their farms in upper Eskdale at Brotherilkeld, mainly for their wool. Beatrix Potter had a very keen interest in the breed and, just before her death in 1942, she left a number of her farms to the National Trust with the stipulation that Herdwick sheep must be kept, an obligation which still exists to this day on selected farms…”
You have to love the happy smiling sheeps. I do.
www.library.pitt.edu/.../illustrators/potter.htm
While I looked at several sites this was the best site I used for research.
http://www.reflectionsintheafternoon.blogspot.com/
1 photo BP probably about 12 years old












7 comments:
o well, this put a smile on my face and a song in my heart...WONDERFUL ! I just LOVE her so much and those charming illustrations.....
what a pleasure to read this, my friend....
sending love,
kary
xxx
I love reading about Beatrix Potter and how she saved quite a few farms, which are protected to this day. I didn't know that about Herdwick sheep, that last photo is mystical. The lamb or sheep images are especially appropriate as Easter approaches.
Great post! It was very interesting to learn about such a beloved lady.
One year the children's museum where I lived had a special feature on Beatrice Potter. I was very surprised by her interest in mushrooms. Because in the Northwest we hunt for edible mushrooms, I was able to identify or at least relate to many of the varieties that they showed at the exhibit.
I remember that she didn't like to paint from pictures but preferred to have a live subject or at least a real subject.
Very Inspiring Post!!
Loved this post Magnolia.
Have always loved her artwork but fell in love with beatrice while watching the movie about her. Renee Zellwagner(sp)displayed her artisitic imah=gination, sensitivity, strength and strong committment to saving land from corporate greed.
A wonderful woman.
Happy Spring my friend...
Blessings of Peace to you and yours
xo
I love Beatrix Potter, too! The Tale of Peter Rabbit is a gem of a story, and so is her life. Her whole life is such an inspiration. Here is a woman who kept on with her dreams in spite of huge obstacles. And I love the ending of her life story, finding love (again) late in life, and becoming a real country woman. Thank you for telling us her story so beautifully! xo Kari
great!!! now pink Cadillac is going to be stuck in my head all day!!! haha!! i LOVE beatrix potter. the movie with renee zellinger was great but years ago in canada, i watched a series that was even better. so what kind of food don't you like? two of my favorite types of food to cook are southern and cajun!
Post a Comment