"I am lovers with what hasn't a name: the inside of wind,

the stutter of rain ..." ❤ excerpt (c) Amy Schutzer


Saturday, March 27, 2010

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens, Miami, Florida

I do not understand how anyone can live
without one small place of enchantment to turn to.

 Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
Tropical Palms


Dr. David Fairchild and his wife Marian Bell Fairchild purchased the Biscayne Bay property in 1916.  The Fairchild's named their new home Kampong, a Malaysian word meaning village, or cluster of buildings for extended family dwelling.
Royal Poinciana

Growing up there was a large Royal Poinciana in our backyard.  It was a
large tree which held me many a day as I pretended to be Peter Pan or Tinker Bell.
Cannonball Tree Flower

* "Dr. David Fairchild, one of the most influential horticulturalists and plant collectors in the United States, devoted his life to plant exploration and searching for useful plants suitable for introduction into the U.S. As an early “Indiana Jones” type explorer, he conducted field trips in Asia, the South Pacific, Dutch East and West Indies, South America, Egypt, Ceylon, China, Japan, the Persian Gulf, and East and South Africa. These explorations resulted in the introduction of many tropical plants of economic importance to the United States."
Sago Palms

Coffe Plant
Torch Ginger Flower

Fairchild Tropical Garden's Poster

Mango, ancient Vedic texts called this fruit "food of the gods", and symbolizes the joy of life.  The wonderful tasting fruit is of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.  The creamy fruit is said to have special enzymes that aid in the digestive process.
Mango trees were in my childhood yard.  I would climb a tree, with knife and salt in hand, and eat them partially green.  I adore the luscious orange slices yummy taste most of all.
Red Silk Cotton Tree

Main Entry Kampong Residence

Statue and Greenery

Tropical gardening for me must be thick with green and punctuated with flowering trees and plants.  A feeling of being in the wild tropic jungle.  Okay, maybe not the wild jungle.

The Fairchilds

Marian Bell - the youngest daughter of Alexander Graham Bell.

Marian Bell Fairchild & The Cherry Blossoms
(second from the left)


Dr. David Fairchild
David and Marian Fairchild
(the Phillipines)

An ordinary man , sometimes called and early "Indian Jones",  spent his life gathering tropical plants from around the world.  He raised a family and left a significant mark in south Florida.  I have a feeling his life was normal and exotic.

I love the last photograph of their old age.  Golden years and the holding hands speak of commitment.  Another legacy for David and Marian Fairchild.

National Tropical Botanic Trust
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens

6 comments:

Julie Dao said...

What exquisite pictures! What a life the Fairchilds must have led, full of exotic beauty and adventure. Thank you for sharing as always!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

What extraordinary pictures, perfect exoticism and about as different from my welsh countryside as it is possible to be. Thanks for visiting and for giving me an insight into another world.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

beautiful...naturally, I LOVED the picture of the little girl with the dog. i sat and stared at that and realized that nothing lives forever...

as you might imagine...all i do is think about Buddy...and then Teddy...bittersweet....crying this morning when i woke up and no Buddy lying next to me...what a loss...so quiet and empty and lonely here with that little man...oh, how much i loved that little dog...

just trying to hold on till Teddy comes...

this is going to be a long month too...

i am consumed my this...can't really think of anything else...

if i get anymore pictures of Teddy I'll post them....

thanks for thinking of me...you're a dear friend..

sending love,
kary
xxx

jaz@octoberfarm said...

just fabulous pictures. thank you so much!

Kari said...

What a wonderful life the Fairchilds led, and I love how you put it, as being both "normal and exotic." I am always fascinated to read about people who carry out their dreams like this. That Royal Poinciana tree is magnificent. I can just imagine how exciting it must have been to grow up with one in your own backyard ~ a fairytale of a tree!! Thank you for sharing these lives and this place with us. xo Kari

Kerri Farley said...

Absolutely gorgeous place!! LOVE that cannonball tree flower!

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." — Terry Pratchett

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."  — Terry Pratchett

Followers