"I am lovers with what hasn't a name: the inside of wind,

the stutter of rain ..." ❤ excerpt (c) Amy Schutzer


Monday, March 11, 2013

1940's: Drinking Tea in "The Blitz".


Looking for something else yesterday, I found this photo story depicting British resolve.  Being now both excited and curious I did a little research.
Title:  1940’s Drinking Tea in The Blitz.
Wikipedia told me this:

The Blitz (from German, "lightning") was the sustained strategic bombing of the United Kingdom by Germany during the Second World War. Between 7 September 1940 and 21 May 1941 there were major raids (attacks in which more than 100 tons of high explosives were dropped) on 16 British cities. Over a period of 267 days (almost 37 weeks), London was attacked 71 times, Birmingham, Liverpool and Plymouth eight times, Bristol six, Glasgow five, Southampton four, Portsmouth three, and there was also at least one large raid on another eight cities.”

With all these cities named, I needed to see a map.
A good cup of tea may transport you to the other side of trouble, a reminding force.  Amid the flattening force of bombs, homes and lives leveled, this woman sat down on a pile of debris to drink a cup of tea and reflect, I imagine, and be comforted.


Sometimes researching one subject leads to another.  I found the origin of the posters and bling I have been seeing.  “Keep Calm and Carry On”, a catchphrase during the Second World War, came from the United Kingdom.
When I was in school I didn’t pay much attention to history.  This has changed.  I am so encouraged to find these histories now!

May you experience a week of good things!


7 comments:

Ashling said...

I think I need a copy of that poster in my office at work and probably at home, too!

PS love the cover photo too, with the sepia toned beehives.

kerrdelune said...

I loved this post, Magnolia - it has been years since I thought about the blitz and the courage of the Brits as they dealt with its tragedies. Love the poster too....

Terra said...

You have found the BEST photo; what a resolute woman. I love to read about history, especially about Great Britain. I must be an Anglophile. When in England we visited every castle we could find!

Melodie said...

A terrific history lesson!

scrambledhenfruit said...

That's a great photo- I think I'll have a "cuppa" right now. :)

Kameshwari said...

This is an amazing photo find. I like that you included a map for us.

I also love the bee hives.

Kerry O'Gorman said...

Yes,I wish I had a better teacher in school that would have made me appreciate history as I do now.
I have a card framed in the kitchen that reads "Make tea, not war". Appropriate enough to this photos don't you think?

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." — Terry Pratchett

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."  — Terry Pratchett

Followers