"I am lovers with what hasn't a name: the inside of wind,

the stutter of rain ..." ❤ excerpt (c) Amy Schutzer


Thursday, November 1, 2012

November Cotton Flower ❤

November Cotton Flower


Boll-weevil’s coming, and the winter’s cold,
Made cotton-stalks look rusty, seasons old,
And cotton, scarce as any southern snow,
Was vanishing; the branch, so pinched and slow,
Failed in its function as the autumn rake;
Drouth fighting soil had caused the soil to take
All water from the streams; dead birds were found
In wells a hundred feet below the ground—
Such was the season when the flower bloomed.
Old folks were startled, and it soon assumed
Significance. Superstition saw
Something it had never seen before:
Brown eyes that loved without a trace of fear,
Beauty so sudden for that time of year.






4 comments:

Terra said...

I like the poem and photo and painting about cotton. That is not something I see growing around where I live in California.

erleichda said...

Beautiful poem and a beautiful photo to illustrate it.
Enjoy a lovely weekend : )

renilde said...

Beautiful post Sandi, i only saw and know the cotton fields from film and in combination with hard (slaves) labour,this poem shows another side, thanks, x

Reena said...

A lovely poem and photos to go with it. Have a great weekend!

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." — Terry Pratchett

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."  — Terry Pratchett

Followers