"I am lovers with what hasn't a name: the inside of wind,

the stutter of rain ..." ❤ excerpt (c) Amy Schutzer


Friday, March 23, 2012

Walker's With the Dawn - Friday Ramble

by Langston Hughes
Being walkers with the dawn and morning,
Walkers with the sun and morning,
We are not afraid of night,
Nor days of gloom,
Nor darkness ~~
Being walkers with the sun and morning.


Walkers with the dawn, or night.....thinking of dawn and night, sunlight and moonlight as companions, thrills me.

I love the little poem.


The last several days I have been reading "Sweeping Changes" by Gary Thorp.  Everyday Zen ideas how to for every day life.

Here are a few goodies from the book:

"When you study buddhism,  you should have a general house-cleaning of your mind.   You must take everything out of your room and clean it throughly.  If it is necessary, you may bring everything back in again.  You may not want many things, so one-by-one you can bring them back.  But if they are not necessary, there is no need to keep them." Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

"When you're totally in an activity,  you become one with that activity and meet yourself along the way...."letting go" of preconceptions...this "letting go" is what allows the unusual to happen."  Gary Thorp

These goodies are in the books forward.

We need possibility thinking and doable encouragement in life.  We can help ourselves.   Everything in our life can have a depth of meaning.  Cultivating a sense of the sacred in housekeeping, working outside the home, gardening, preparing food, laundry, doing dishes, exercise, reading, praying, meditation...think of it.

I needed this book years ago.

Happy weekend everyone.

  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

"possibility thinking"

yes!!

mxtodis123 said...

Love this post. I've always been fascinated with, but have never deeply studied Buddhism. Maybe it is about time.
Mary

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Love this post.
Must look into this book.
Have a wonderful weekend.

erleichda said...

I like that little poem... and the quotes from the book are more than welcome in my life right now.

A thank you for sharing them and a "clean" weekend for you <3

kerrdelune said...

Gary Thorp is one of my favorites ever, and I usually have his wonderful little book tucked in my backpack. This is a lovely post, dear Magnolia!

Akannie said...

I can't recall Gary Thorp...but will surely look into him now.

MIndfulness...

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." — Terry Pratchett

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."  — Terry Pratchett

Followers