"I am lovers with what hasn't a name: the inside of wind,

the stutter of rain ..." ❤ excerpt (c) Amy Schutzer


Thursday, March 22, 2012

I ❤ Shakespeare

Beware the ides of March Beware the ides of march.....
Caesar:
Who is it in the press that calls on me? I hear a tongue shriller than all the music
Cry "Caesar!" Speak, Caesar is turn'd to hear.
Soothsayer:
Beware the ides of March.
Caesar:
What man is that?
Brutus:
A soothsayer bids you beware the ides of March.

14
  Not from the stars do I my judgement pluck,
  And yet methinks I have astronomy,
  But not to tell of good, or evil luck,
  Of plagues, of dearths, or seasons' quality,
  Nor can I fortune to brief minutes tell;
  Pointing to each his thunder, rain and wind,
  Or say with princes if it shall go well
  By oft predict that I in heaven find.
  But from thine eyes my knowledge I derive,
  And constant stars in them I read such art
  As truth and beauty shall together thrive
  If from thy self, to store thou wouldst convert:
    Or else of thee this I prognosticate,
    Thy end is truth's and beauty's doom and date.
shakespeare sonnets
Here is Hamlet's most famous speech as it appears in the Bad Quarto...
  • To be, or not to be, aye, there's the point,
  • To die, to sleep, is that all? Aye, all.
  • No, to sleep, to dream, aye merry, there it goes,
  • For in that dream of death, when we awake,
  • And borne before an everlasting Judge,
  • From whence no passenger ever returned,
  • The undiscovered country, at those sight 
  • The happy smile, and the accursed damned. 
  • But for this, the joyful hope of this,
  • Who'd bear the scorns and flattery of the world,
  • Scorned by the right rich, the rich cursed of the poor? 
  • The widow being oppressed, the orphan wronged, 
  • The taste of hunger, or a tyrant's reign,
  • And thousand more calamities besides, 
  • To grunt and sweat under this weary life, 
  • When that he may his full quietus make,
  • With a bare bodkin? Who would this endure,
  • But for a hope for something after death?
  • Which puzzles the brain, and doth confound the sense, 
  • Which makes us rather bear those evils we have, 
  • Than fly to others that we know not of.
  • Aye that, oh this conscience makes cowards of us all.

Shakespeare is always with me.  I love his work.  History of the Elizabethan culture and beyond are in his profound words.  I love words anyway, Shakespeare makes reading electric.  
happy day.  the wild magnolia

3 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

I often think of the quote, 'Beware the Ides of March' when March 15th rolls around.
Mary

Linda said...

Great post on him...Hope you enjoy the movie I recommended...I think you will really like it...I am watching Anonymous this weekend...Should be interesting... :)

It seems that I am appreciating him more as I get older...either that or I have slowed down enough to do so...LOL

Ashling said...

Wonderful!! I've adored Shakespeare's works since I was a teenager...so enjoyed this post!

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." — Terry Pratchett

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."  — Terry Pratchett

Followers