“On December 25, 1837, a force of 2,000 U.S. Army Soldiers and Alabama Volunteers arrived near this spot to construct a fort which was aptly named, Fort Christmas. This fort was only one of over 200 forts built during the Second Seminole Indian War, 1835 - 1842. The fort houses exhibits and a video presentation on the Seminole Indian Wars.”
Old cracker homes have been moved to the Fort and restored to preserve our heritage.
The Ft. was dropped from Christmas when the first Post Office opened in 1892. You can imagine how many travel, from miles around, to have a letter stamped from Christmas, Florida.
Old cracker homes have been moved to the Fort and restored to preserve our heritage.
Christmas is located about 20 miles east of Orlando along Highway 50, a road traveled by those heading to Titusville on the Space Coast.
I love the old Florida. I was born in 1946 and came in on the end of the cracker era. My Aunt Martha Jane's house was something like the black and white photos. The wood burning stove is much the same as Aunt Martha's. The Simmons and Yates homes are something of my paternal Grandfather's.
Our southern pioneer decor was simplistic. Clean and practical, useful not showy.
It is happiness for me to go backward in time, and see a bit of my past, in someone else's past. I am proud of my heritage.
There is so much more I could say, this is just a glimpse.
Christmas Florida History and photo Source - Click













2 comments:
O,my...I would give my left arm for that stove!!! It's beautiful!!!
Thanks for the info...I have a sister that lives in Homosassa....maybe I'll try to get by Christmas next time I'm down there...
A lovely and fascinating post, thank you for your visit and a Happy Christmas to you.
Post a Comment