Hernando de Soto was born in Spain around 1500, Jerez de los Caballeros; died in 1542 in what is now Arkansas.
He landed in1539, from the west probably near what is now Tampa Bay, and came from Cuba in hopes of finding gold or other riches in La Florida.
In his search for gold the travel took him all the way to Arkansas. Along the way he confronted, fought and captured Indians and made them slaves. He was brutal in his treatment of the Indians, in some cases the Indians were the same.
Although it is courageous to sail across the oceans his goal was monetary and not discovery. I was not impressed with the man De Soto.
The park being on the bays edge is stunning with Florida's natural beauty and I was thrilled to discover it for myself. The multi shades of green bay waters lay as a quilt just beyond the north park edge.
~ De Soto National Monument, Bradenton, Florida ~
I'm sharing only a few of the photos of the day.
It was great fun for me, the thatched huts, the pine canoe dugouts, a boardwalk, the gumbo limbo tree (not shown, yet), wild rosemary, red mangrove, bay waters, and daisies.
6 comments:
Must have been a wonderful day, that's nice. A gumbo limbo tree? never heard of, sounds like a funny tree? xx
Awesome photos, photo girl. My aunt lives in Bradenton. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :-)
Stunning is the word for these photos! I would love to visit there.
I love the photos, beautiful!
the bay and daisies are gorgeous...the violence perpetrated by humans towards humans, always painful and disturbing...I'm glad you found a soothing place view for your gentle eyes to rest upon.
Interesting place--will have to visit sometime. I agree with your opinion of DeSoto, not a nice man.
Post a Comment