"There is a privacy about it which no other season gives you.... In spring, summer and fall people sort of have an open season on each other; only in the winter, in the country, can you have longer, quiet stretches when you can savor belonging to yourself." ~Ruth Stout
I do love this quote. For me these words hit the nail square on the head. "There is a privacy," this is how I feel about rainy days, and could never quite pull out the words to capture how rain affects me. There is indeed privacy, in a season of rain.
Winter seems the same. It is a season of privacy unto ourselves, as Ruth Stout shares with us, "...you can have longer, quiet stretches when you can savor belonging to yourself." Such a delicious idea, having permission to belong to yourself.
To be sure, those who spend days on end confined to hearth and home, there is the time when this savoring begins to rub the wrong way, and the desire to banish all snow and ice and frigid air is overwhelming. If would be well at times if winter were a heavy curtain of whitest velvet to be flung wide with a grand revelation of spring. Ahhhh.....the only prescription for this is fancying yourself a daydream believer, and mentally abscond from the icy chains of winter.
Quotes, poems, stories, novels, history, science, art, music and relationships, and conversations, are all communication by words or musical notation, isn't it delightful. I wrap myself in words, I tote words around with me continuously, I passionately devour the written word, I remember and study words, and on particular occasion I write words.
Words have a vast array of power to bring forth: smiles; laughter; or tears. We may learn and be changed by the words we read and take as our own. Imagine, reading this quote settled a question for me about the long affects of rain. There was another such thought, but I have temporarily forgotten it. Anyway, these words also give a hint of how to deal with at least a portion of the winter doldrums.
Now of a rainy day I shall think of this and savor a time of belonging to myself.
Blessings and wishing you a fine day.

10 comments:
Lovely quote. Yes, I truly do love winter's gifts of solitude and and time for reflection. I know I would embrace it far better if I wasn't here in the city. Yes, the city can be beautiful when it snows, but it also becomes very icy; sadly, it is a fearful time for me. But, on those days that I don't have to work, I so enjoy a lovely snowy day where the city for once becomes quiet and serene.
Mary
I relate to all you share. Love my solitude and special time in my country cottage.
But---I am ready for Spring. Mentally I am planning and can visualize my small gardens :)
I love the beautiful quote. And I love this: "There was another such thought, but I have temporarily forgotten it." Perfect. :)
I truly love the solitude that winter brings, but the wonderful fresh veggies and beautiful flowers make my heart belong to summer. :)
I love to be alone or with my husband - I don't relax with anyone else, even friends and family keep me on edge? Don't know why but I always found 'people' exhausting face to face. OR on the phone - I hate tlaking on the phone too.
Love your site, its exactly the kind of site I'd like to have on my Weekend Creation Blog Hop which started yesterday and lasts till sunday evening. Its especially for creative thinkers/blogs/bloggers. Its my first blog hop too - so I'm nurturing it so that people like us can link up. Its at http://wordsinsync.blogspot.com/ now.
Shah .X
The smell of rain and the feel of the cold chill on my face are some of the things I like about Winter. Nice post.
What a beautiful picture and post! My favorite part of living in a snowy winter climate is how the beautiful white flakes blanket and cover up all of the withered growth from the earth. Have a nice weekend! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters
Yes, yes! This is why I love inclement weather so much. It means I have an excuse to be all alone. I love to read about snowstorms and thunderstorms, too. It soothes my soul. xo Kari
I love everything about winter! I savor this season each year and cannot wait for it to begin anew.
Your thoughts and photo's always spark the imagination Dear Heart! That...Is a Good Thing!
Blessings and Love..
xoxo
I feel wrapped and comforted in your words and image...how magical to BE present to one's self and enjoy the company so thoroughly!
i love the qualities each season gives and i love all the words on 'winter' you have shared with us here.
it is good to have a quiet season, to have the space to draw in. to rest and reflect.
sending warmest hugs ❤
millie
Post a Comment