~ Garden Delight ~
Nassenheide, the setting for the book, The Enchanted April, by Elizabeth von Arnim (1898), who was then in Germany.The Enchanted April is the first Elizabeth von Arnim book I have read. It is delightful and informative of the English middle class married woman's outlook on her position in life. How she feels and relates to her husband. Surprisingly distant and accepting of a pale and fixed life. Two of the ladies who traveled to the enchanted Italian villa were not married but were none the less changed by their adventure.
Ms. von Arnim's writing style affords you the pleasure of being there. You hear the characters as they speak. You visit the lovely gardens and observe the changes in these four lives. Lives intertwined by a vacation, the sea, and enchanted by a change of place and beauty.
I consider this book a good read.
Have a great day. Blessings.

3 comments:
I've never read the book, but I wanted to comment how beautiful that scene is. Oh, how I would love to be there.
Mary
I second what Mary said!
~Morri aka gypsy-heart :)
This is one of my favorite books! And I love the movie, too, which was very faithful to the book. I love the idea of suddenly traveling to a strange place and finding joy! xo Kari
Post a Comment