John O’Donohue, a former priest, was a contemporary Irish poet/philosopher. If you have not read his poetry, read it.
*In the introduction to an edition of The Confession of St. Patrick several years back, John O'Donohue described the Celtic spiritual concept of Anam Cara — that God is a friend to our soul — this way:
*"This relationship cuts across all other connections. In your Anam-cara you discovered the Other in whom your heart could be at home." Anam-cara means soul friend.
On St. Patrick's Day I think of the people and the lands of Ireland. The green hills and high cliffs above the seas off Ireland. I think too that all the Irish are from the island.
And I always think of the ancestors.

6 comments:
happy st. patty's day!
Happy St. Patrick's Day, dear friend. John O'Donohue has written some of my favorite books. I especially love 'Anam Cara'.
Mary
Blessings to you! I have that book around here somewhere... I have a few too many piles of books - I'll have to track it down. Have a wonderful day!
Beloved Anam Cara...
Blessings of the Irish to you! I've been thinking of this day for days now as it is my Dear departed Mothers Birthday and she is descended from Ireland on her paternal side. So I've a bit of the Irish in me too.
I'm very familiar with John O'Donohue's sacred and heartfelt poetry...it speaks volumes to this woman. Anam Cara is outstanding in its messages to us.
Here's to Blessings of the Green Dear Sister...as I sign off singing Galway Bay...one of my Moms favorite songs.
All My Love!!! xoxoxo
Happy St. Patrick's Day to you! May your day be filled with blessings!
Btw, when I view your blog from my ipad, I cannot leave a comment. I think the snowflakes falling might be messing with the comment box. :(
I love his poetry.
You reminded me
to take his books
off the shelf:)
Blessings to you
this day
and on...
Post a Comment