"I am lovers with what hasn't a name: the inside of wind,

the stutter of rain ..." ❤ excerpt (c) Amy Schutzer


Thursday, January 17, 2013

When I Am Among the Trees

When I Am Among the Trees

When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness,
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.

I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.

Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.

And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."

~ Mary Oliver ~


photo: When I Am Among The Trees
by the wild magnolia
North Carolina



4 comments:

Terra said...

Lovely poem and photo, "only God could make a tree". I love trees in all their wild variety.

Gail Dixon said...

I wish I "got" poetry, but the words were very beautiful. Love the vertical lines of the trees in the photo. :)

AkasaWolfSong said...

Don't you just love Mary Oliver?
She writes what resides in our bones...

Love that photo Sister! It's truly gorgeous!

Hope your week's end is peaceful and joyous...
xoxoxo

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Oh yes
a favorite poem...

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." — Terry Pratchett

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."  — Terry Pratchett

Followers