~Big Monday~
Monday is here, big Monday, wash day. I remember big Monday’s at my Aunt Martha Jane’s. She and Mama would carry pots of hot water to pour in a number three wash tubs. They would carry cold water for two rinse tubs. Cloths were hand scrubbed and the scrub board was also used. The sunshine, and sometimes the wind, dried this laundry. Mama and Aunt Martha Jane would sit on the back steps, and one or the other would say, “there’s not a cleaner, prettier laundry anywhere.” And they were dead serious. Clean laundry was serious. Cleanliness was next to Godliness. Believe you me!
I will not hand scrub my wash today or hang the cloths to line dry. Sheets and towels dried by the sun a fresh are smell so clean! I do miss the line dried laundry, but not the hand scrubbing.
This morning I was greeted with thick fog and a chilly 54 degrees. I know some of you chuckle over the 54 degrees being chilly. The path of the sun lighted a portion of fog with good morning orange beauty. My walk was brisk and solitary. Prayers and blessings go forth for family, friends and this world of ours.
Last night 60 minutes ran a segment entitled “Childhood Poverty”, a reporter interviewed a group of school children in Florida. I was so hurt for these innocent children affected by this ongoing recession and scarce job market. Some children felt it was their fault because it cost to feed and cloth them and places a burden on their family. Needless to say I have sent e-mails to different government officials. Get real, do something now, please. I did not sleep well.
Wishing this to be a good week for all!



3 comments:
Believe it or not, I do both. Hand scrub and hang on the line. I do a little each day, what hubby and I wear. I just can't see spending all that money at the laundramat. Last time I went it was a little over $20...and that was about 7 years ago.
Mary
I still wash by hand many things at home. I also hang dry. You are so right about nothing smelling greater than sun-dried laundry...or falling asleep on fresh sheets and pillow cases.
The smells of sweet Mother Earth and Father Sky...you just cannot get any better than that.
I watched 60 minutes too Sandi...it is heartbreaking. Here in our city we have about 500 homeless teenagers that our city is coming together for, to create a transitional housing program to facilitate these pooor kids who through no fault of their own have been displaced. We can no longer turn our heads. In a day and age when the housing market has taken a dive downward, we need to be using these empty homes to house all of America's homeless, and to hell with Banks. Sitting empty they become inhabitable anyway and why fill Mother Earth with more? Humanity is waking up albeit slowly...we must continue to be prayer warriors as well as contributors.
Great Post Sister Love and Thank You for your words of wisdom (and prayers for me!) You are deeply appreciated by me! Blessings on the Gentle Winds! xoxo
I still do a lot of hand washing and weather permitting - soon - I hang my clothes on a line I put between 2 trees. I love to hand clothes outside. The scene you described about your mother and aunt - I remember at my grandmother's.
Take care.
Post a Comment