"I am lovers with what hasn't a name: the inside of wind,

the stutter of rain ..." ❤ excerpt (c) Amy Schutzer


Friday, January 21, 2011

~ Murder in the Morning, Laughter in the Afternoon


Murder in the Morning, Laughter in the Afternoon

My neighborhood breathed as usual
Motor pings and shifting gears
Wind rushing around corners
fire truck and ambulance ominous wails
seagull screeches soaring flight

Pop! …then sirens…so many wrecks
Outside and headed to my car
A crowd gathered looking east
To the alley across the street
My head turned to see police cars
And crime tape and another crowd

“Someone was shot and killed, murdered,” replied Sally.
Knowing some of our residents use this alley
I ask, “Do we know who?  Sally replied, “No.”
The victim was not one of our resident’s.
I shivered to realize I heard the death shot.

But there was a victim
He lay still now, in his car,
He was forty years old
Angry words and
Another man’s fear
 Produced a gun
 And separated him
From the living world

Anger and a split second
The remainder of two
Separate lives shot dead
With the same single bullet

Six hours later
Two children rode their hot wheels
Down the alley over the
Place of death and innocent
laughter fills the air

And I remember
Nothing halts
the march of time

My neighborhood breathed as usual
Motor pings and shifting gears
Wind rushing around corners
fire truck and ambulance ominous wails
seagull screeches soaring flight

sandra m. hagan © January 18th, 2011

7 comments:

Melodie said...

Oh my...how scary! Your poem is so very true,I have often thought along these lines..how life just goes on no matter what happens or what turmoil is in my life. I think though,it is good your neighborhood quickly went back to normal....I would hate the thought of children locked in side all day because of what happened.

mxtodis123 said...

Oh, how awful. Living here in New York City, I certainly know how it feels.
Mary

brandi said...

~life...marching on...never ceasing...as if this is normal...all ok...it happens here just the same...such a sad sad world this day...i wish for you a calm serene weekend ahead...quite and peaceful...much love light and blessings~

AkasaWolfSong said...

It's so hard to understand the need for power over someone else, isn't it? Born of fear or not it permeates our society...I long for the days of sweet peace Magnolia.

I shall pray for the children playing in your neighborhood...that they are protected from the wounds of those who cannot see light and love.

I wrote a poem on Stone Soup this week on The Color of Guns...we sooo need to change our country's views and hope for a brighter tomorrow!

Bless You Dear One!
xoxo

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

:-{

i was HAPPY to see you at farmhouse and thank you for the kind words...how are you, my friend?

thinking about you and sending love

kary and teddy
xxxx

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Yes, a reminder that life goes on after all that happens. What else can I say. Thinking of you

Robyn Campbell said...

How are things? I will talk to you this weekend. I've been so down lately.

A friend of ours was killed in a wreck. And I thought what this poem said, even though he wasn't shot. Death happens. People go on.

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." — Terry Pratchett

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."  — Terry Pratchett

Followers