"I am lovers with what hasn't a name: the inside of wind,

the stutter of rain ..." ❤ excerpt (c) Amy Schutzer


Friday, April 2, 2010

Solitary ~ Not Lonely

"I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life -- and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do."  ~ Georgia O'Keefe

~ Poppy Love ~


"Whether the flower or the color is the focus I do not know. I do know the flower is painted large to convey my experience with the flower -- and what is my experience if it is not the color?"
~ Georgia O'Keefe ~



Georgia O'Keefe and Jingo

~Solitary ~
Georgia O'Keefe and her Chow by John Loengard


Years ago I read an excellent biography of Georgia O'Keefe's life.  This book is inclusive of her life from childhood until death. 

The above photo conveys how I see her life.  Walking a long solitary stride in the wide open spaces, seeking silent secrets of sight and feeling.

To me she seemed a solitary even as a child.  Solitary not lonely.  She loved her family and was helpful when troubled times came, but she wandered on purpose to a life of her own.  Life for her was not a rush.  Time was a moment each to experience and learn.

Experience was hers to understand and share.  At first glance her life seems easy.  Giving her life to art was a single choice and she became art.  Living simply, staying long enough with the land to see, and share her vision.

Solitary is rare today.  Tangled in a new web of technology and instant convenience and satisfaction we loose sight of the art looking into the silent spaces for our personal vision.

And this is the way of my thoughts in this moment.

"You get whatever accomplishment you are willing to declare." ~ Georgia O'Keefe

~Biography~
Georgia O'Keeffe: A Life (Paperback)
by Georgia O'Keeffe, Roxana Robinson

7 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

...hello, my friend..i loved this so much...being a "loner" myself..i loved it..solitary, but not alone...that's right...

i loved seeing her chow, jingo..reminded me of you-know-who.

the pasta supper looks like it should fit the bill, nicely...i hope you like it...it is simple..just the way we like it...

Kary
xxx

Quilt Architect said...

I enjoyed reading about Mrs. O'Keefe a few years back. She is so determined and focused. She seemed very strong and independent.

Wonderful post to celebrate solitude. I too am a hermit...but we all seek wisdom!

Terra said...

My favorite quote you include here is the first one, about daring to do things.

Kari said...

The lives of artistic people tell us so much about how to live. I love your opening quote. Oh, I have much too often let my fear prevent me from doing things. I am really going to work on that! I love long solitary walks. I take my notebook and pen and often stop to write a note to myself. I love that last photo of Georgia walking into a wilderness. xo Kari

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

i got to see jingo again :- )

shells and sauce ! yipee..sounds so good and old fashion

Happy Easter weekend, my friend,

Kary

Mother Moon said...

thank you so for the kind words on my blog... I thought I would come and visit.. I simply love this post... I so agree that solitude is something that so many are so afraid of that they will never experience its beauty... I love the quotes and intend to look for the book you mention... It sounds like I would love it....

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

My dear Magnolia...

wish you were here for Easter dinner...you have been such a great friend to me...so kind and supportive...it means alot.

sending you love at this Eastertime...
Kary
xxx

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." — Terry Pratchett

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."  — Terry Pratchett

Followers