These old church ruins, the oak trees, the large columns and the gate to the grounds are a scene to remember. For me this is the old south from an era long ago. The earth is gray, the grass is green, the oaks are hung with moss, and there is sacred silence. Those who were here before are from the old long ago.
Being New Years Eve yesterday the song, Auld Lang Syne, popped into my head. I searched it and found this old Scottish song is about love and friendship. The title literally means the 'Old Long Ago'. Wonder filled words to describe the past.
Auld Lang Syne
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne!
Chorus.-For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll take a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.
("The song Auld Lang Syne is traditionally sung by most of us on the stroke of midnight each New Years Eve. However in Scotland, where Auld Lang Syne originates it is also sung on Burns Night, January 25th, to celebrate the life of the author and famous poet Robert Burns.....The words 'Auld Lang Syne' literally translates from old Scottish dialect meaning 'Old Long Ago' and is about love and friendship in times past. http://www.carols.org.uk/ )
The words 'Old Long Ago' are filled with the mystery of a place I have never been. People and a time that should be remembered. The photographed ruins of the the Sheldon church, and surrounding land, brought the 'Old Long Ago' into the present time for me. Who were the people walking these grounds and attending church. What are their stories? Would their lives hold valuable clues for us today?
Research is one way to travel via the information highway and my imagination. When traveling this way, in my imagination, I may touch the white church pillars and slowly wander the grounds. The scent of damp leaves and all the woodsey smells are still present. The large twisted oaks remain and may hold many secrets. Ancestors of the scrub jays, hawks and owls, may still be in the area. I hope so. The humans have gone.
Returning to the present, and the new year, there are no resolutions for me this year. However, something I read recently touched my heart and remains with me:
"I swear I will not dishonor my soul with hatred, but offer myself humbly as a guardian of nature, as a healer of misery, as a messenger of wonder, as an architect of peace." Diane Ackerman
This quote is tucked in my mind and traveled with me through the gateway into 2010.


1 comment:
I know how you feel walking through those ruins...they look so inviting. When I was in Ireland I felt this many times...the spirit of everything that once was there, whispering in the air above gravestones and ancient trees...I like that you think of the birds and critters ancestors there!
Post a Comment