"I am lovers with what hasn't a name: the inside of wind,

the stutter of rain ..." ❤ excerpt (c) Amy Schutzer


Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Out of Africa



Right now I am reading  Isak Dinesen's, Letters from Africa 1914 - 1931,  translated by Anne Born.  The letters are dry and disappointing.  Makes me wonder what is lost in the translation.  Years ago I read Out of Africa.  I recall it as an engaging descriptive book . 

The movie captures me at the very onset with the hauntingly beautiful musical theme by John Barry.  The praire lands and the Ngong Hills as backdrop speak simplistic beauty.  Wide open green spaces, spindly trees with jagged bushy tops, punctuate the landscape.  Scattered gray rocks and stones lay still as death.  The clacking railway cars snaking across the land beckon one to come with.   The open panoramic scenes allow us to become entranced with Africa before the movie begins.

Well written words create images in the mind.  My imagination whirls and twirls when reading or watching a movie.  I've been known to watch a poor movie for the scenery.  I'm traveling.

Much more of Africa remains beyond the pages of a book or movie scenes.  Curosity keeps me gathering from fields of knowledge.  Isak Dinesen said, "I am an armchair traveler", and that is fine. Besides, it is fun.

~“Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." (unknown author)

The Colors of Africa






Pictures by Hans Silvester (Rapho/Camera Press) from the book Natural Fashion: Tribal Decoration from Africa by Hans Silvester, published by Thames and Hudson, £19.95.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

My all-time favorite movie.
The scenery, Meryl Streep's wardrobe, the views from the bi-plane. And when she reaches her hand back to Robert Redford during their flight...ohhhh..guess I'll be watching a movie this evening.

Thanks for the beautiful photos and reminding of it all.

the wild magnolia said...

Thanks Ama. Yes, the simple gesture of reaching her hand back needed no words. We remember the beauty of this flight.

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." — Terry Pratchett

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."  — Terry Pratchett

Followers